Thank you for your interest in the Portland Geek Council (PGC). The PGC is a collaborative of geek-friendly businesses, performers, and interest organizations, committed to working together in an ethical fashion, to nurture and promote the health and interests of the geek culture of Portland, Oregon.
What do I get as a Member Organization?
Member organizations get access to opportunities for growing their knowledge, skills, and fan base through resources the PGC3 offers:
- Skill share events
- Networking opportunities
- Event promotion
- Social media and blog promotion
- Directory listing on PGC member directory
Do I qualify to join the Portland Geek Council?
If you’re not sure whether you’re a good fit for the ranks of the Portland Geek Council, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
- Membership to the Portland Geek Council is open only to geek organizations. If you’re a geek who blogs about being a geek, hosts geeky events, or represents a geeky business (for example), then you could have a place with the Portland Geek Council! We’re interested in organizations who contribute to the geek community in Portland. In short, we’re an organization of Geeks Who Do Things. Yes, we do think that just being a geek in and of itself is a wonderful thing, but that alone doesn’t get you in the door.
- If you want to become a Member, an endorsement helps. If you have an existing member organization ready to endorse you, that’s a big help! Are you an organization that wants to join, but don’t know any current members? That’s okay, too! The PGC Board reviews applications for all potential members, and the more we know about you, the better. In other words, be thorough and passionate in filling out your application form! While we’re not an exclusive clique, we’re not an open-door organization, either. We’re looking for people who love being geeks and are willing to put in the time and effort to help our community thrive!
- To be a member, you must fill out the online membership application form, AND make your dues payment. Once you’ve filled out the membership form, the PGC3 board will review your application and get back in touch with any further questions, or your acceptance. If we don’t have your application and your dues payment, your membership is not yet active! If you have questions in the meantime, or revisions to make to your application, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Multiple members of an organization (e.g. several employees of the same geeky company) are welcome to apply and join, but each organization is allowed one AND ONLY ONE voting representative. Unless otherwise specified, this defaults to the first member of a given organization to be granted membership in the PGC3. We have adopted this policy to maintain a balance of power between the member organizations, as our little family contains both small local organizations and international corporations.
If you’re interested in the legalese of the Portland Geek Council, our non-profit status, and the standards we operate under, feel free to take a look at our By-Laws.
I’ve paid my dues, but I want to be more involved!
Awesome! We’re glad to hear it. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with PGC3, including becoming a Council member, volunteering at our events, and helping out with our outreach efforts both online and in meatspace. Here are a few places to get started:
- Come to our next All-Hands Meeting! We want to meet you!
- Submit your event announcements and press releases for posting on the Blog, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Contact the Board and let us know what you else can do to help!
This sounds great! Sign me up!
Still interested? Great! It’s time for you to take the next steps: fill out our membership form!